The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular)

+4
Superjuice
Pethead
Black Rider
Christian Thrash Rules
8 posters

Go down

Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular) Empty Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular)

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:25 am

Christian: Afterwinter - Paramnesia, Awesome and interesting story. Very unique. Great music. I don't normally enjoy female vocals in metal but this is awesome.
Secular: Dream Theater - Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory, Interesting story. I enjoy how each song is Scene 1:, Scene 2: 1. etc. It makes following the story a little easier I guess. Also just great music.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular) Empty Re: Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular)

Post by Black Rider Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:45 am

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Not sure about a Christian album. Maybe Terium by Seventh Avenue.

Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Superjuice, Pethead and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular) Empty Re: Favorite Prog Concept Album?(One Christian, One Secular)

Post by Pethead Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 am

How could I forget Terium in the other list? That’s one of my favorite albums. I’ll go with that one for Christian. 

And for secular, Operation: Mindcrime is tops.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:40 pm

I can't let a day go by without listening to Tales From the Topographic Ocean by Yes.

Just kidding, however, I gave that album my best shot in college, but I just wasn't esoteric enough.  This seems to plague a lot of concept albums by well-known groups like Quadrophenia, The Wall, and Metropolis part 2.  The concepts are just too high minded and not story oriented enough.  That's why you can chalk another one up for Mindcrime.  It's the best story.  I'll nominate On To Evermore by Glass Hammer as well.

Why isn't Kerrick in here jumping all over Seventh Son of s Seventh Son?  Although it is more of a loose concept album according to the band.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 pm

Electric Light Orchestra - Time
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:51 pm

I'm not sure I'd categorize 7th Son as full on "prog" but it is a masterpiece either way!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:07 pm

Christian: Affector - Harmagedon

Secular: Orphaned Land - Mabool
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:20 pm

^Mabool is amazing.  That was my gateway album into extreme metal vocals haha.  Great band musically, I just wish their lyrics were better!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:33 pm

Kerrick wrote:I'm not sure I'd categorize 7th Son as full on "prog" but it is a masterpiece either way!
One of my favorite Maiden albums. 

Technically, Seventh Avenue isn’t really prog, either, but I dig it so I wanted to mention it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Technically Queensryche isn't pure prog but it has prog tendencies.
Nice to see Glass Hammer get a mention.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 pm

I have no Christian examples…

1. Operation Mindcrime

2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:49 pm

Black Rider wrote:Technically Queensryche isn't pure prog but it has prog tendencies.
Nice to see Glass Hammer get a mention.
It is generally held that Queensryche is the first prog metal band.  Its just that Fates Warning and Dream Theater took it to another level instrumentally and composition-wise later on.  And then DT's sound and approach became the stereotype for prog metal.  Ryche was just more influenced by Floyd than Rush & Yes.  They were mainly more progressive in terms of their overall sound than creating wild instrumental passages.  Heck, they even had one of Pink Floyd's producers work on The Warning and Rage For Order is more progressive in terms of breaking new ground in sound and studio experimentation.  The songwriting is actually pretty intricate, they just don't have long jam sessions or showcase virtuoso musicians, it's just more compacted in a short space.  Geoff Tate is the virtuoso.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 pm

Only thing I disagree with is, I think Degarmo is the virtuoso, they're not the same without him.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Superjuice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down