The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bands you dig and now you Don't

+19
seth
StevenCressler
Nachtwald
Bahana
Dr3ams
Drawnsword
alldatndensum
Grindboy
PlaceOfASkull
bodachi
Follower of Jesus
Sevenoneself
TZ75
Raegoul
Pethead
Constantine
Black Rider
BaleMaster
Dustofyears
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bands you dig and now you Don't Empty Bands you dig and now you Don't

Post by Dustofyears Tue May 31, 2022 7:35 am

Just for a bit of fun, what are some bands you used to dig at one time or another and now just can't swallow the pill. And perhaps reasons why (if you know why).

Also- bands you thought were okay, or didn't like back in the day but now really dig (and the reason/s why if you know)

Here are a few Bands I once liked very much and now... well...

Tourniquet: Loved this band once. They are great musicians, but now when I listen to them I just don't get any aggressive attack from them that thrash should have (IMO) and the vocals remind me of Judas Priest and king Diamond. Not a fan of either of those bands.

Whitecross: Another band I once loved. Don't know why, but just can't dig them anymore. I think lyrics have a lot to do with it now too (mind you, I can listen to Rez just fine so maybe that's !@#$%& I don't know... Just don't excite me anymore.

Bride: Another one I liked- really can't get into that guns n roses vibe and groove anymore, and Dales voice grates my ears now (used to love it)

Petra with John Schlitt: Used to love the Jon Schlitt Petra era when I was "On Fire"- however, I still love the Volz years though, the layers in the music and his voice are amazing, even the first two (though Washers whiter than is questionable, but doable).

Stryper: To hell with the Devil and Brides: Silence is Madness, were the first proper christian heavy metal bands I heard and got excited about (until I heard Vengeance rising) now I listen to it and everything from dressing up like women right down to the cringe lyrics and kiddie metal anthem songs is just awful. It's like drinking sugary cough medicine bottle after bottle.

So how bout ewes...

Last edited by Dustofyears on Tue May 31, 2022 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Bands you dig and now you Don't Empty Re: Bands you dig and now you Don't

Post by BaleMaster Tue May 31, 2022 7:41 am

Yeah, this is going to be a great topic. No flame wars pending...at all.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue May 31, 2022 7:49 am

BaleMaster wrote:Yeah, this is going to be a great topic.  No flame wars pending...at all.
Doesn't have to be that way. It's just opinions. Put your big boy pants on. You'll be fine.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Xid, mothy and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue May 31, 2022 11:13 am

White cross, didn't age well. I'll listen to the first one for nostalgia is all. Not metal but Servant. Really dated sound.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue May 31, 2022 1:09 pm

Bands I no longer care for:  Too many to mention.  Actually I would prefer to say I'm just taking a break from them.  
One specific thing I am definitely bored with is excessive guitar wankery.  Shred has it's place at times but I prefer more economical, tasteful playing.

Bands that didn't thrill me back then but that I like now:
When black / unblack metal first began, I did not like it.   In the past few years I began to get into it more.  
Not as a steady diet, just every so often.

Actually I never cared much for Stryper in their early years except for 2-3 classics and the "Against The Law" album.  But ever since NMHTP, they sound so much stronger to me.  Maybe it's the modern production, but it's a different experience now.

Bands I still can't get into:   One Bad Pig.  No matter how many times I try, I just....can't.   I just do not connect with them on any level.  I just don't like the garage kind of sound.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 31, 2022 4:50 pm

The one that comes to my mind is Shout. I picked up In Your Face many moons ago when I was desperate for anything resembling christian hair metal and I listened to it a bunch. But I don’t really ever play it anymore. It’s got a couple good tunes, but there are many other similar bands I’d rather hear.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Tue May 31, 2022 5:41 pm

I didn‘t care for Precious Death and Randy Rose back in the day as they were too soft but now I appreciate them as Christian alternatives to Faith No More and Danzig, respectively.

I agree that some White Cross hasn‘t aged well but there are still enough songs I like. Vocals on the first three Bride records are over the top and I have a hard time listening to them nowadays. I still dig Kinetic Faith and Snakes tho.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, TZ75, Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 31, 2022 5:57 pm

Man, I still love me some Whitecross. Y’all are crazy. Wink
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue May 31, 2022 6:05 pm

For some reason I keep giving all the bands I liked in the past a chance every time they release something new... If they have made more than a few albums, they probably have a few stinkers. But I can’t think of a band I have completely abandoned. Maybe there is… but I can’t recall at this time.

I did almost give up on Deliverance around the time of “Assimilation”, but Jimmy has somewhat redeemed himself. I quite enjoy “As Above, So Below” and recently I have given “Hear What I Say!” a new fresh listen and I like it more than I did before. The Subversive Kind is good too.

Actually, I do have one…
I haven’t been enjoying the stuff Believer has released since their comeback. I thought Gabriel had a few nice moments, but the production is crappy and the songwriting is weirder than usual. The follow up Transhuman was a big stylistic departure too…
I haven’t bothered with their series of EP’s. From what I’ve heard, I didn’t like them very much. I don’t think they even released the final installment. 

I will always like their first two albums though! Especially Extraction From Mortality.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster, Dustofyears, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue May 31, 2022 7:33 pm

Pethead wrote:The one that comes to my mind is Shout. I picked up In Your Face many moons ago when I was desperate for anything resembling christian hair metal and I listened to it a bunch. But I don’t really ever play it anymore. It’s got a couple good tunes, but there are many other similar bands I’d rather hear.
A few examples of "similar bands"?? I'm interested.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue May 31, 2022 7:43 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
BaleMaster wrote:Yeah, this is going to be a great topic.  No flame wars pending...at all.
Doesn't have to be that way. It's just opinions. Put your big boy pants on. You'll be fine.
The Big Boy pants have been on much longer than many of those worn by this board's members.  As a student of history, I know how these threads turn out.  They quickly devolve into flame wars, because they involve skewering one another's sacred cows for no valid reason.   Twisted Evil
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue May 31, 2022 9:18 pm

Pethead wrote:The one that comes to my mind is Shout. I picked up In Your Face many moons ago when I was desperate for anything resembling christian hair metal and I listened to it a bunch. But I don’t really ever play it anymore. It’s got a couple good tunes, but there are many other similar bands I’d rather hear.
Never liked Shout. Or Tamplin. Talented though, very talented.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Tue May 31, 2022 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75 and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue May 31, 2022 9:26 pm

TZ75 wrote:

Actually, I do have one…
I haven’t been enjoying the stuff Believer has released since their comeback. I thought Gabriel had a few nice moments, but the production is crappy and the songwriting is weirder than usual. The follow up Transhuman was a big stylistic departure too…
I haven’t bothered with their series of EP’s. From what I’ve heard, I didn’t like them very much. I don’t think they even released the final installment. 

I will always like their first two albums though! Especially Extraction From Mortality.
Really like those albums. didn't at first but they both grew on me. The only thing I don't like about Gabriel is all that filler stuff at the end of it. I don't mind a little filler here and there, but not a chunk of it and call it a track when a perfectly good song could've been there.

No mention of Dimensions I noted... Let's just pretend that never occurred and let it slid just this one time.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Tue May 31, 2022 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue May 31, 2022 9:32 pm

BaleMaster wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
The Big Boy pants have been on much longer than many of those worn by this board's members.  As a student of history, I know how these threads turn out.  They quickly devolve into flame wars, because they involve skewering one another's sacred cows for no valid reason.   Twisted Evil
Ah... Thus the Master. Well, Master Bale, student of history and gatekeeper of the Christian Metal Realm- I must commend you for figuring out after all those years that opposing opinions can cause tension on the internet. A most worthy student indeed.

Perhaps you'd like to bring some of those "Sacred Cows" to the altar, so that we might "skewer" them... Twisted Evil
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 31, 2022 9:44 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Never liked Shout. Or Tamplin. Talented thought, very talented.
I like Tamplin’s self-titled pretty well. Yeah, he’s very talented both on guitar and vocals. Seems like a nice guy, as well.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 31, 2022 9:52 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Angelica, Guardian, Holy Soldier, some of Bride and Bloodgood, Whitecross, Stryper, Crystavox, Legend Seven, later Leviticus, Mastedon, Ransom, Red Sea, The Brave, X-Sinner (Get It), Zion, Fear Not, Rage of Angels

Last edited by Pethead on Tue May 31, 2022 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
BaleMaster wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Ah... Thus the Master. Well, Master Bale, student of history and gatekeeper of the Christian Metal Realm- I must commend you for figuring out after all those years that opposing opinions can cause tension on the internet. A most worthy student indeed.

Perhaps you'd like to bring some of those "Sacred Cows" to the altar, so that we might "skewer" them... Twisted Evil
🥸🙄
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue May 31, 2022 10:02 pm

To give credit where credit is due to ole Tamplin, this is a MONSTER song:

Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Follower of Jesus, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue May 31, 2022 10:03 pm

Pethead wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
I like Tamplin’s self-titled pretty well. Yeah, he’s very talented both on guitar and vocals. Seems like a nice guy, as well.
When I say Tamplin- I am referring to the music and not the person, just so it's clear. yeah He seems like a genuinely good guy.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue May 31, 2022 11:48 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Actually, I do have one…

Really like those albums. didn't at first but they both grew on me. The only thing I don't like about Gabriel is all that filler stuff at the end of it. I don't mind a little filler here and there, but not a chunk of it and call it a track when a perfectly good song could've been there.

No mention of Dimensions I noted... Let's just pretend that never occurred and let it slid just this one time.

Dimensions is okay, but it was my least favorite of the original 3.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue May 31, 2022 11:49 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
When I say Tamplin- I am referring to the music and not the person, just so it's clear. yeah He seems like a genuinely good guy.

I’ve met him. He is indeed nice.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:24 am

Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Angelica, Guardian, Holy Soldier, some of Bride and Bloodgood, Whitecross, Stryper, Crystavox, Legend Seven, later Leviticus, Mastedon, Ransom, Red Sea, The Brave, X-Sinner (Get It), Zion, Fear Not, Rage of Angels
I'm a fan of about 1/2 of these bands, NOT a fan of about 1/4, and haven't listened to another 1/4. In 2 weeks of being on this forum, my list of bands to check out is about 50!!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:37 am

Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Did you give Shout - It won‘t Be Long a fair listen? I really love this one, it‘s quite straightforward, as opposed to the more complex, artistic solo albums and less bombastic than Magdallan. 

On a related note you mentioned Mastedon. I recently wondered who did the vocals on It‘s a Jungle Out There, must be the guy from X Sinner? That track is so dope and I was so disappointed when I found out he didn‘t sing throughout the whole record.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:36 am

Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
I'm a fan of about 1/2 of these bands, NOT a fan of about 1/4, and haven't listened to another 1/4. In 2 weeks of being on this forum, my list of bands to check out is about 50!!
Holy Soldier's first two albums, self titled and Last Train, is hair metal perfection. If you haven't heard those albums- do yourself a solid and go have a listen on youtube!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:41 am

There really aren’t any bands that I used to like, but now don’t. I listen to bands less than I used to, sure, but I still enjoy them.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

alldatndensum, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next