The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bands you dig and now you Don't

+19
seth
StevenCressler
Nachtwald
Bahana
Dr3ams
Drawnsword
alldatndensum
Grindboy
PlaceOfASkull
bodachi
Follower of Jesus
Sevenoneself
TZ75
Raegoul
Pethead
Constantine
Black Rider
BaleMaster
Dustofyears
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bands you dig and now you Don't - Page 2 Empty Re: Bands you dig and now you Don't

Post by Pethead Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:48 am

Raegoul wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:The one that comes to my mind is Shout. I picked up In Your Face many moons ago when I was desperate for anything resembling christian hair metal and I listened to it a bunch. But I don’t really ever play it anymore. It’s got a couple good tunes, but there are many other similar bands I’d rather hear.
A few examples of "similar bands"?? I'm interested.
Angelica, Guardian, Holy Soldier, some of Bride and Bloodgood, Whitecross, Stryper, Crystavox, Legend Seven, later Leviticus, Mastedon, Ransom, Red Sea, The Brave, X-Sinner (Get It), Zion, Fear Not, Rage of Angels
Did you give Shout - It won‘t Be Long a fair listen? I really love this one, it‘s quite straightforward, as opposed to the more complex, artistic solo albums and less bombastic than Magdallan. 

On a related note you mentioned Mastedon. I recently wondered who did the vocals on It‘s a Jungle Out There, must be the guy from X Sinner? That track is so dope and I was so disappointed when I found out he didn‘t sing throughout the whole record.
I’ll check out It Won’t Be Long.

Yeah, it was Dave Robbins from X-Sinner. I’m actually partial to LOFCAUDIO over the debut.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Raegoul likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bands you dig and now you Don't - Page 2 Empty Re: Bands you dig and now you Don't

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:30 am

Pethead wrote:
Raegoul wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:The one that comes to my mind is Shout. I picked up In Your Face many moons ago when I was desperate for anything resembling christian hair metal and I listened to it a bunch. But I don’t really ever play it anymore. It’s got a couple good tunes, but there are many other similar bands I’d rather hear.
A few examples of "similar bands"?? I'm interested.
Angelica, Guardian, Holy Soldier, some of Bride and Bloodgood, Whitecross, Stryper, Crystavox, Legend Seven, later Leviticus, Mastedon, Ransom, Red Sea, The Brave, X-Sinner (Get It), Zion, Fear Not, Rage of Angels
Did you give Shout - It won‘t Be Long a fair listen? I really love this one, it‘s quite straightforward, as opposed to the more complex, artistic solo albums and less bombastic than Magdallan. 

On a related note you mentioned Mastedon. I recently wondered who did the vocals on It‘s a Jungle Out There, must be the guy from X Sinner? That track is so dope and I was so disappointed when I found out he didn‘t sing throughout the whole record.
I’ll check out It Won’t Be Long.

Yeah, it was Dave Robbins from X-Sinner. I’m actually partial to LOFCAUDIO over the debut.

I'll have to check out It Won't Be Long as well. I'm sure I listened to it back in the day, but maybe it was just a few songs from the collection At The Top Of Their Lungs. 

I hate to same I'm with Pethead, b/c I love Ken Tamplin's songwriting, lyrics, singing and guitar work, but I don't reach for these albums very much anymore. And if I do, it's to listen to the top couple songs from each one.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:56 pm

Raegoul wrote:I didn‘t care for Precious Death and Randy Rose back in the day as they were too soft but now I appreciate them as Christian alternatives to Faith No More and Danzig, respectively.

I agree that some White Cross hasn‘t aged well but there are still enough songs I like. Vocals on the first three Bride records are over the top and I have a hard time listening to them nowadays. I still dig Kinetic Faith and Snakes tho.
had the cassette tape of Mad at the world Boomerang once. Sweet album that. Still as good as it ever was too.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:02 pm

I was a fan of Precious Death’s first 2 albums. I never gave Randy Rose much of a listen. I know he was marketed as the alternative to Danzig (which is weird, because I was a moderate Danzig fan).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:05 pm

TZ75 wrote:I was a fan of Precious Death’s first 2 albums. I never gave Randy Rose much of a listen. I know he was marketed as the alternative to Danzig (which is weird, because I was a moderate Danzig fan).
Mad at the world albums are really different from each other, I mean drastically different. Mad at the world Bomerang is awesome. Check it out on youtube when you get a chance, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:I was a fan of Precious Death’s first 2 albums. I never gave Randy Rose much of a listen. I know he was marketed as the alternative to Danzig (which is weird, because I was a moderate Danzig fan).
Mad at the world albums are really different from each other, I mean drastically different. Mad at the world Bomerang is awesome. Check it out on youtube when you get a chance, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Will do!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:40 pm

Give this gem a listen guys. This band needs way more love. Underrated.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

alldatndensum, strangerhoncho and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:42 pm

Not bad. 
The voice isn’t as powerful as prime Danzig, but it’s still good. It even has the expected Jim Morrison thing too.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:46 pm

TZ75 wrote:Not bad. The voice isn’t as powerful as prime Danzig, but it’s still good.
It even has the expected Jim Morrison thing too.
I'll have to check Dan Zig out. For one reason or another I have not explored his music yet.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:50 pm

Mad at the World was good. They went through a few stylistic changes. If you like Boomerang, I recommend Seasons of Love.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:08 am

I was talking about the Randy Rose solo album, didn‘t know he was in Mad at the World. Now I have to check out their stuff too.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:19 pm

Grammatrain - Lonely House - there's still a few songs I'll listen to, but it's pretty much "blah" to me now.

The Blamed - Frail. It had SO much energy, and was 10 times better IMHO than "21" and "...again" but it just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

A bunch of hardcore-ish bands from Tooth and Nail: Strongarm, Focused, Unashamed, Training for Utopia, Blindside, Embodyment. I had all these bands on repeat for all of high school and Bible school. And now I never touch them at all.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:19 am

HERESY WARNING

Way back in the early 1990's I loved me some Tourniquet. I was in my mid teens and discovering the new Christian thrash. I still like a song or two from the first few albums but I tired of Mr. Ritter's voice on the first three and the progressiveness on the rest. Also, more thrash and heavy metal bands were emerging that I liked better. (I do love most of WMARD and most of everything after.)

Favorite tracks from the earlier Tourniquet albums:

Ark of Suffering 
Viento Borascoso (Devastating Wind)
The Tempter
The Skeezix Dilemma
Vanishing Lessons
Acidhead
Perfect Night for a Hanging
The Hand Trembler
If I Was There
America
Trivializing the Momentous, Complicating the Obvious (all-time favorite Tourniquet song)
Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm
The Tomb of Gilgamesh
The Skeezix Dilemma Part Ii (The Improbable Testimony of the Pipsisewah)

Other than those 14 songs I no longer listen to early Tourniquet.

Bring on the stones!
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bodachi Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:45 am

Dustofyears wrote:Also- bands you thought were okay, or didn't like back in the day but now really dig (and the reason/s why if you know)

Looks like we all missed this part (me included)

Bloodgood: Mr Carlsen's voice didn't work for me at first but I started getting into the band about 2011 or so

Sacred Warrior: I heard "Master's Command" on a sampler (probably one of the Hot Metal Summer cassettes I picked up) but for some reason just never got into them. Listened to more on youtube then bought ALL 5 studio albums on Black Friday 2020

Saint: I remember "Returning" from the Pure Metal sampler "The Axemen" blew me away, but "Too Late For Living" from another sampler underwhelmed me so I didn't get into them...until I checked them out on youtube. Then I bought ALL their albums on Black Friday 2021

(In the dark ages of the 20th century before youtube, I found all my bands on the labels' samplers. I also just bought every album on the Intense Records and Pure Metal labels when they existed)
bodachi
bodachi
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaceOfASkull Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:10 am

Disciple
My favorite band until self title released. 
When I heard the self titled it was a complete style change. I was so shocked. They turned to a modern rock sound.

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:11 am

Sevenoneself wrote:Grammatrain - Lonely House - there's still a few songs I'll listen to, but it's pretty much "blah" to me now.

The Blamed - Frail. It had SO much energy, and was 10 times better IMHO than "21" and "...again" but it just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

A bunch of hardcore-ish bands from Tooth and Nail: Strongarm, Focused, Unashamed, Training for Utopia, Blindside, Embodyment. I had all these bands on repeat for all of high school and Bible school. And now I never touch them at all.
Man ain't heard those bands in a long while. I think it might of been focused- is that the one with the people burning in hell on the cover (if my memory is serving right) well that one with that cover was my favorite hardcore album of all those hardcore bands that came out. Never could get into Zao though. Quite liked The blamed and Strongarm too as I remember it.

Grammatrain was another one I quite liked back in the day. Should check it out again and see if it stands the test of time to my ears.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:17 am

bodachi wrote:HERESY WARNING

Way back in the early 1990's I loved me some Tourniquet. I was in my mid teens and discovering the new Christian thrash. I still like a song or two from the first few albums but I tired of Mr. Ritter's voice on the first three and the progressiveness on the rest. Also, more thrash and heavy metal bands were emerging that I liked better. (I do love most of WMARD and most of everything after.)

Favorite tracks from the earlier Tourniquet albums:

Ark of Suffering 
Viento Borascoso (Devastating Wind)
The Tempter
The Skeezix Dilemma
Vanishing Lessons
Acidhead
Perfect Night for a Hanging
The Hand Trembler
If I Was There
America
Trivializing the Momentous, Complicating the Obvious (all-time favorite Tourniquet song)
Microscopic View of a Telescopic Realm
The Tomb of Gilgamesh
The Skeezix Dilemma Part Ii (The Improbable Testimony of the Pipsisewah)

Other than those 14 songs I no longer listen to early Tourniquet.

Bring on the stones!
For the record, all the bands I mentioned on the original post I still think are great musicians and have crafted some great songs- yes, even Stryper (GLUG)... And TQT and Bride and Whitecross and whoever else I mentioned are all great bands with some great tunes. I just don't listen to them anymore is all. The Skeezix Dilemma is still killer though!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:22 am

bodachi wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Also- bands you thought were okay, or didn't like back in the day but now really dig (and the reason/s why if you know)

Looks like we all missed this part (me included)

Bloodgood: Mr Carlsen's voice didn't work for me at first but I started getting into the band about 2011 or so

Sacred Warrior: I heard "Master's Command" on a sampler (probably one of the Hot Metal Summer cassettes I picked up) but for some reason just never got into them. Listened to more on youtube then bought ALL 5 studio albums on Black Friday 2020

Saint: I remember "Returning" from the Pure Metal sampler "The Axemen" blew me away, but "Too Late For Living" from another sampler underwhelmed me so I didn't get into them...until I checked them out on youtube. Then I bought ALL their albums on Black Friday 2021

(In the dark ages of the 20th century before youtube, I found all my bands on the labels' samplers. I also just bought every album on the Intense Records and Pure Metal labels when they existed)
Oh yeah! Good point!

Still like me some Bloodgood. Their new album has some good stuff and some sort of middle of the road stuff. One song, "I Will" even has an almost identical bassline to no more tears from Ozzy on it. You might say it's dangerously close. 

THe AXEMEN! Totally forgot about that comp. Can't remember what was on it though but had it on cassette.

The band I Like more now is actually Sacred Warrior. Never quite got into them yesteryear, 'cept for "THe Flood" and that was only because it had Roger's vokills on it. Gave Rebellion a listen few weeks back and it really tickled me under the armpits.

Also, is it strange that I don't mind Saint but don't like Judas Priest...

Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:59 am; edited 8 times in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:24 am

PlaceOfASkull wrote:Disciple
My favorite band until self title released. 
When I heard the self titled it was a complete style change. I was so shocked. They turned to a modern rock sound.
 So they did a Holy Soldier on you aye. Don't think I've heard of them.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:12 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:Grammatrain - Lonely House - there's still a few songs I'll listen to, but it's pretty much "blah" to me now.

Man ain't heard those bands in a long while. I think it might of been focused- is that the one with the people burning in hell on the cover (if my memory is serving right) well that one with that cover was my favorite hardcore album of all those hardcore bands that came out. Never could get into Zao though. Quite liked The blamed and Strongarm too as I remember it.

Grammatrain was another one I quite liked back in the day. Should check it out again and see if it stands the test of time to my ears.
In the mid 90s I listened to secular HC and was in HC bands, and the only Christian band that is on par with the likes of Strife, Earth Crisis and such is Strongarm. Atonement is one of the best HC albums secular and Christian combined. I didn‘t like the vocal change on the follow up tho.

Blamed and focused are post HC and try too hard to sound artsy, if I want to hear this I‘ll listen to Fugazi. I only discovered Unashamed lately but find them quite bad tbh. Production and musicianship are just not good. I don‘t know the others you mentioned, anything worth checking out (Training for Utopia, Blindside, Embodyment)?

As a reference I like NIV and can listen to xdisciplex, Point of Recognition and Jesus Wept but am looking for something a bit different. Direct me to good Christian HC please Very Happy

Thanks for reading.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:27 am

Raegoul wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

In the mid 90s I listened to secular HC and was in HC bands, and the only Christian band that is on par with the likes of Strife, Earth Crisis and such is Strongarm. Atonement is one of the best HC albums secular and Christian combined. I didn‘t like the vocal change on the follow up tho.

Blamed and focused are post HC and try too hard to sound artsy, if I want to hear this I‘ll listen to Fugazi. I only discovered Unashamed lately but find them quite bad tbh. Production and musicianship are just not good. I don‘t know the others you mentioned, anything worth checking out (Training for Utopia, Blindside, Embodyment)?

As a reference I like NIV and can listen to xdisciplex, Point of Recognition and Jesus Wept but am looking for something a bit different. Direct me to good Christian HC please Very Happy

Thanks for reading.
Like reading this stuff. Yeah I know a little bit about the hardcore scene through books and stuff, probably through the grunge stuff I've read with Alice and Chains and Nirvana- Dave Grohl's school of training was The hardcore scene, etc.

Hey anyone know the hardcore christian band with the people on the cover with bald heads *almost like mannequins, kind of burning in hell- It's not focused just looked it up...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:28 am

Dust, is it Focal point? Best hc bands in the day were Six Feet Deep and No Innocent Victim.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Grindboy, Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:53 am

Black Rider wrote:Dust, is it Focal point? Best hc bands in the day were Six Feet Deep and No Innocent Victim.

For sure, the album Dust of Years is referencing is not Focused, but Focal Point "Suffering of the Masses." Ryan Clark pre-Training for Utopia, pre-Demon Hunter. I thought it was pretty good, had it's own unique sound which is difficult in hardcore.

Raegoul, Atonement is maybe my favorite hardcore album of the time also. I think you have already hit on a couple of the other top options with NIV and xDiscipleX A.D. They were a little bit different, but as mentioned I LOVED Six Feet Deep, Struggle has poor production but I think both albums are incredible. It's a very different "posi" less heavy sound but xLooking Forwardx "The Path We Tread" album is pure magic and incredibly fun. I think Alove for Enemies "Resistance" is awesome and one of the heaviest hardcore albums I've heard. Call to Preserve "From Isolation" is all around super-solid, and a little more recently Dynasty "Truer Living with a Youthful Vengeance" was surprisingly good. All of those bands have other albums so for my part I'd specifically start with those. If it's going will might try Figure Four and Seventh Star as well, I don't know what you'll think but at least for me I like all of those a touchbetter than Point of Recognition or Jesus Wept?

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:22 pm

Grindboy wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Dust, is it Focal point? Best hc bands in the day were Six Feet Deep and No Innocent Victim.

For sure, the album Dust of Years is referencing is not Focused, but Focal Point "Suffering of the Masses." Ryan Clark pre-Training for Utopia, pre-Demon Hunter. I thought it was pretty good, had it's own unique sound which is difficult in hardcore.

Raegoul, Atonement is maybe my favorite hardcore album of the time also. I think you have already hit on a couple of the other top options with NIV and xDiscipleX A.D. They were a little bit different, but as mentioned I LOVED Six Feet Deep, Struggle has poor production but I think both albums are incredible. It's a very different "posi" less heavy sound but xLooking Forwardx "The Path We Tread" album is pure magic and incredibly fun. I think Alove for Enemies "Resistance" is awesome and one of the heaviest hardcore albums I've heard. Call to Preserve "From Isolation" is all around super-solid, and a little more recently Dynasty "Truer Living with a Youthful Vengeance" was surprisingly good. All of those bands have other albums so for my part I'd specifically start with those. If it's going will might try Figure Four and Seventh Star as well, I don't know what you'll think but at least for me I like all of those a touchbetter than Point of Recognition or Jesus Wept?
Wow thanks. I forgot to mention I love Six Feet Deep‘s Struggle. Very underrated imo. I‘ll check out the other stuff you mentioned!
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:35 pm

To this day, I still love Six Feet Deep (especially their “Struggle” album). And the first album by Focused “Bow”.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next